Friday, October 16, 2009

Working with Human Resources vs Recruiters. Lessons Learned.

A month ago I talked to a candidate about a contract position with a company I will call XYZ Corporation. I explained to him that the position was a 6 month contract position. He was very interested in the position and decided he would send me an updated résumé. I got busy and realized it had been a few days and the résumé never showed up. I then email the candidate but still no résumé or reply. I decide to call the candidate since at the time of our initial conversation he was very interested in the position.


Let’s call the candidate Bob. The call went something like this…


“Chas thanks, but after you told me the name of the client I decide to check out their website and the job you mentioned was on the website, so I decided to apply. So I figured why waste your time.”


“Bob, that is great but the position I have is a contract position and the position you applied was a permanent position.”


“But Chas the permanent position must report to the same manager? It’s all the same.”


“Actually Bob, permanent positions with this client go through Human Resources and contract positions go through procurement. They are two different areas and in this case two separate managers.”


What Bob didn’t know was the CFO and VP of Finance of XYZ Corporation was interested in hiring a contractor for their financial organization. The VP of Finance needed a resource for a 6 month SOX project and some important financial reporting. The IT organization was trying to fill the permanent position on an employee that left the company. I was told that human resources received well over 100 résumés for their permanent position. The manager in procurement received 11 résumés for the 4 vendors they use for contract positions.


By the time I submitted Bob, the VP had already started interviewing. Although I felt Bob was the better resource the VP decide on my other candidate after interviewing four of the eleven candidates. Bob did not get an interview. The permanent position was filled by a referral to the hiring manager.


Bob could have increased his chances by apply for the permanent positions as well as the contract position. Not to mention, if Bob would have gotten the contract position he would have made some valuable internal references for other permanent positions with XYZ corp. In any case, Bob did not get back to me and never sent me updated résumé until a week after out initial conversation. By then it was too late.


If you like what you are reading and want to read more, check out my eBook at www.blackholesresumesjobs.com/


For my free Résumé Template go to www.blackholesresumesjobs.com/Downloads.html


If you are an IT professional and want to send me your résumé, please feel free to email your résumé to me at chas.bollow@triad-corp.com.

Blog Counter

Followers